Sunday, August 10, 2014

Hello, Goodbye Summer 2014

2013-2014 Nan Men Campus foreign teachers.
The blog posts have not been as frequent due to many factors. Now as the new school year is starting, and my second year living abroad in Taiwan, I wanted to give an update to my last couple months in Taiwan and reflecting on my month back in the United States.
Lotus Lake

In the final weeks of my first year teaching in Taiwan, there were many tears of joy and sadness. Eight of the teachers would be returning to the states to pursue a teaching career and the other eight of us would be returning to Taiwan after a month long vacation back to our hometowns.
In the last month, I spent as much time as I could with teachers who would be leaving, I completed writing portfolios for my 3rd grade classes, attended another music festival, saw my first movie alone, had a rat run across my foot, attended the Dragon Boat Festival for summer solstice, became a spice girl, watched a cockroach dance across a magicians shoulders, hit one year living in Taiwan, experienced multiple apartment breakdowns, returned to Kaohsiung and Lotus Lake, heard of my first tragedy happening in Taipei, read Tao Te Ching, attended a pool party in the capitol, welcomed the new teachers, helped to put on Daban and 6th grade graduation, sang and danced with my co-workers in front of all the parents and staff, said goodbye to some amazing friends and co-workers, got a new roommate, and began preparation of my two new classes, Grade 1 Fireflies and Grade 3 Avengers. 
Dragon Boat racing.

Girls and I at Taichung Music Festival.
Spice for life!
New friends at the pool party in Taipei!

Welcoming a few of the new teachers by taking them to Pizza Rock!
T. Brittany and her Daban (now my Grade 1) students at graduation!
T. Sabrina and I at Cornel bowling party.

Now I have gone and returned from five weeks in the USA. I was lucky enough to be able to spend almost every day with family. Initially returning I landed in Minneapolis before heading on to Omaha. Right away I noticed the distinct differences in how people treated each other, the size of their weight lines, and I felt that I had shrunk in height. Prices seemed to be extreme, tipping was strange, and learning to flush toilet paper again felt like I was polluting. My first few days back took quite an adjustment. General things like going to Casey's gas station and Wal-Mart had me taking photos. It's amazing how much can happen in one year, and how much can stay the exact same. Families grow bigger, friends grow apart, with some it felt like I had never left them at all, while others I realized our relationship was in the past.
My Grade 1 Fireflies!
The month home was many things, it helped me to reflect back on Taiwan and my life. It helped me to appreciate even more the people who have kept me in their lives from the states, the opportunities I have had in my life, and for the first time I really felt proud of myself. Many people told me that they could never do what I have done, moving, leaving everyone and everything behind. I never felt that amazed by my choice because it always felt like something I had to do with my life, there was no question.
Cousin Jessica and Ashley.
Grandma Lamp and nephew Dominic.

Coming back to Taiwan this week I had no idea how great it would feel. I am beyond words excited for my second year here. I have some challenges ahead and even farther to push myself, but surrounded by my Cornel family and people who are truly happy, there is no other place in the world I would rather be.
--Sending out love to all those who I saw this summer back home! Thanks for your support! -- K
Grade 3 Avengers! 19 students!

No comments:

Post a Comment