Wednesday, August 22, 2018

#2 Patience

 “Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you.”

The Taiwanese seem to have a set expectation, an unspoken agreement, of how you treat others – not that there aren’t the exceptions- We are all humans. ^^ Still, their vast amount of patience seems to be a key factor in this. Having patience requires self- control. It helps us overcome daily life frustrations, helps us hold off judgments, and in turn we make more mindful and informed decisions in all aspects of life. Patience helps us to achieve our goals, to see things more clearly, to be a good friend, and have compassion for others. 
After sharing a meal and planting a tree with an aboriginal tribe CNY 2014. ^^
The Taiwanese have patience unlike I’ve ever experienced. Growing up on an island of 23 million people must help with accepting that things take time. I should mention that as I have traveled to other places, and met people from all over the world, Americans do have the stereotype of always being in a hurry.  I can admit, this need to fit as much as I can into a single day and hustle from task to task is still very much in me, but my how far I've come. 

When I return to visit the USA, I am one of the most patience people in any given vicinity, but here in Taiwan, I often find myself being the impatient one. I will curse the ill-parked scooters and their drivers, too often I've grown impatient waiting for the elevator, and oh my golly, the lines. Yet they never seem to fret, nor grow restless, or become ill-tempered because only one register at IKEA is running as a line of 15 people continues to grow. There's rarely an aggravation at the 99 second red lights you hit five times after work, the tea stand lines that wrap around the building, or the elevator stopping on every level before picking you up on the first floor, to only then continue downwards to the basement when you mean to go up!
Another day, another line. 
"So why are Americans always in a hurry? The answer lies in our culture and our history. Perhaps it is even within our capitalist economy; in connection, the idea that if you work harder, longer hours than the next guy, you'll come out on top. But what does this do to our bodies, minds, and spirits? All work and no time for recreation, meditation, and personal reflection causes more of a detriment to our well being than success ever can compensate. So the next time you're ready to blow up at the waitress taking too long, or schedule your day with so many things that the only down time you get is your limited sleep, remember that there is always space for those things that matter most. Physical, mental, and spiritual well being enables higher success and productivity, greater satisfaction, and increased longevity."


Great Things Take Time 
Cousin Jessica and I in Kaohsiung, enjoying Taiwan at our own pace. May 2018 
The Taiwanese are in no rush to start their days. Many places open at 10 am, and schools often beginning at 9 am.  The most scurrying I've witnessed is at the breakfast shops between 8-8:30 am. In the evening, meals are often an hour or more as to enjoy the food and let the conversation flow. This is also true in European countries. As well as the common use of public transportation, walking and biking versus every individual over 16 having their own means of transportation to get where they're going. 
I have learned a great deal of history while living in Taiwan. Because of this, I have also learned great lessons in patience. Gaining this knowledge has taught me a lot about the world, my country, and has led me to discover, follow, and thrive in deeper passions within.  

I've learned a lot about America’s history while in SE Asia for five years abroad. Including the importance of USA's relationship with Taiwan, keeping it free from China.

Taoism and Buddhism
In the first month of arriving in Taiwan, I was given the chance to receive Tao. Since then I've invested the time to learn more and more about Taoism and Buddhism in Taiwan and surrounding countries.  Many consider Tao and Buddhism a religion, or faith, but it seems more of a way of living than anything else. Neither of these 'faiths' try to convert nonbelievers by force. Instead, brings one to 'acceptance of their life,' opens possibilities, peace, and patience.  
In Taiwan, the religious environment is characterized by "tremendous diversity and tolerance." The majority practice a mix of Taoism and Buddhism, while Christians and Muslims are a small minority.Some say there’s no such thing as folk religion (in Taiwan), rather a motley collection of beliefs and superstitions which adherents hope will bring them health, longevity and prosperity." After speaking on the subject with Taiwanese friends and high school students, as well as my own experience, I would agree. There seems to be more rituals to bring protection from illness or to bring success in school or work, than prayers for refining behavior or uplifting thoughts. 
@ Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangon, Myanmar- May 2014
Both Buddhism and Taoism do not require a belief in any God or Gods. They are gentle, nonviolent, and anti-war. Believing in the equality and dignity of all living things. It encourages people to think independently, to transform themselves and to seek and find their own way to true happiness. In recent years, many Buddhist groups have emphasized environmental protection and minimizing. As Taoists teaches a person to live in their heart. 
I mention these two belief systems, because I believe they play an important role in how the Taiwanese are raised and, subsequently, a strong reason as to why they grow to live by the golden rule. 
I am approaching my final week of working with Cornel English School in Taichung. When I signed my name to this journey 5.5 years ago, I didn't quite expect that it would turn into such a major chapter in my life. I have embarked along a path that has forever changed who I am. I have reached more personal and professional goals than I even set out to achieve. I have gained confidence and insight that will honestly make returning (or at least attempting) to the USA an even bigger challenge than it ever was to leave. "Reverse culture shock "is what they call it, and I can't say I'm looking forward to it. 
I am, however, looking forward to being with family and friends again soon. As well as what I have planned for the next three months before my return home. ^^ 
Thanks for the support! -K

No comments:

Post a Comment