Sunday, September 16, 2018

#1 Living the Island Life


I was born and raised in the middle of America. With an abundance of wide open spaces, big blue skies, gravel roads and endless highways through flat lands and rolling hills. All four seasons were a guarantee in the midwest, as well as trips to the local lake for family reunions, birthdays, and holidays. Farmers brought in produce to the markets every week, midwest beef was plentiful, something to be proud of, and there was no concern for the damage it was doing to our planet, nor to us. Life was good. Little did I know that life, for me, would get even better, just by living near the sea. 
First trip to Kenting before Ghost Month begins - August 2013

First Open Water Dive after certification in 2014
I moved to this rather large island of Taiwan in June 2013. I remember discovering that it is 1/4 the size of my home state of Iowa (1/3 the size of New York- Approx. 245 miles long, 90 miles wide.), but 7 times the population of my entire state!  
23 million people are living on this island that is smaller than Switzerland, and just slightly larger than Belgium!  With this density, there are certainly places where one could not remotely tell at all that they were living on an island. However, it is still an island! A tropical island with all the variety of adventures to be desired and more. 
Isla Formosa (Taiwan) is a bountiful in mountains and oceans views; immense in freedom, beauty, and wildlife; lush in forests, fruit, and friends. While also having dozens and dozens of offshore islands surrounding Taiwan to deepen the feel for truly living an island life.

One of the things I love about being part of an island community is that islanders often look out for one another (less theft). Due to size and limits on resources, we must depend on one another. While being in the larger cities of Taipei, Taichung, Kaohsiung, and Tainan this feeling is harder to come by. All it takes is a day trip to a small town to find it. Another perk, people in smaller communities spend more time sharing; sharing food, drinks, stories, and laughter. More doors are open, children watched over, and I personally always enjoy when a conversation with locals leads to hidden island secrets. ^^
❤ Mountains sunrises,
Ocean sunsets.
F U L O N G    B E A C H 
Here are a few more benefits (I find) of living on an island:
Tropical weather is good for skin and hair! I've never put the pieces together about how hair and nails seem to grow so quickly in the humidity, but I am not the only one. As for the natural moisture humidity provides, it's wonderful effects are easily noticeable when I take a flight back to the USA in the middle of winter. Eek! 
With rainy seasons lasting anywhere from June to October, you really learn to appreciate the sunny days. ^^
Flower Festival 2013
"The Mountains Are Calling & I Must Go"
Waterfall exploring- Sept 2017
Best kind of exercise is provided! Hiking to waterfalls, hot springs, or the tip top of mountains for guaranteed breathtaking views. Cycling is popular in Taiwan and there is some surfing for those able. ^^
First Mountain Hike in Taiwan! - July 2013 
Tropical islands that grow their own fruit also have the advantage of selling these delicious delights in inexpensive abundance. 
Quick and easy use of transportation!

❤ Hop out of the ocean, jump in the back of a blue truck and go. ❤ 
❤ Run up the road for BBQ with the sun on your skin and sand in your hair. ❤  
Learn to entertain ourselves in more creative ways!    

Waking up to mountain views. ^^

Camping trips!
Islanders tend to be 'night owls' as well. For me, nothing beats seeing a sky full of stars with the sound of the ocean nearby.
❤ Ancient Forests, Aquatic Animals.
 
I read a book this past year, The Vanishing Face of Gaia, that spoke of Taiwan as one of the "lifeboats of humanity." The book discussed how a handful of places (Japan, New Zealand, Tasmania, British Isles, Scandinavia, Northern Canada, and a few others) that will not be as altered or harmed in the years to come when climate change further begins to take its effect on the planet, or more so, humanity. So another large benefit of living in Taiwan is that it's a tropical, high-elevated island that can produce its own food to sustain its people. 
I S L A N D     G I R L 
By combining a good economy where small business and families thrive and depend on each other, Taiwan has created an island mecca of incredible, friendly, happy healthy people. A society most people can only dream of, and many are in disbelief still exists.

With this blog, and the fact I've spent a majority of my 20s in Taiwan, it's easily obvious to see I am a huge fan of this place. However, my time in Taiwan, at least for the foreseeable future, has come to an end. This chapter in my life has been written. From here, the journey will change into something only I can dream of at the moment. I leave my adopted home after five years and three months with more love, trust, hope and confidence in my heart than I came with. I leave behind some friendships I'll never forget, and memories that I know will last a lifetime. No matter what is to come, I know I will see Formosa again. Taiwan, with all its beauty and its people, have truly touched my heart. 
ZaiJian~
-K 


No comments:

Post a Comment